Bromley South Central
Client: McLaren Construction
- RIBA Stages
- 3: Developed Design
- 4: Technical Design
- 5: Construction
- 6: Handover and Close Out
What we did
This project will regenerate and transform what was a multi-storey car park site in Central Bromley, London.
Sited next to a major railway line, the leisure led mixed use development includes a 9 screen basement level multiplex cinema with retail shops and 9 A3 restaurants, above which is a residential housing tower of 200 apartments and a 130 bed Premier Inn hotel; all built off the same structure.
With such a multifaceted specification, our remit involves:
- Carrying out noise and vibration testing next to the railway line;
- Advising on protecting the cinemas from railway generated noise and vibration;
- Recommending how sound transfer from the cinema, restaurants and bars to the residential apartments can be reduced;
- Reviewing noise emissions from the leisure facilities mechanical plant equipment to neighbouring buildings and the residential apartments against local authority planning conditions;
- Consultations with the local Environmental Health Department, Local Planning Authority and Transport and Highway Authorities;
- Monitoring the installation of acoustic treatments throughout the construction stage;
- Pre-completion sound insulation testing.
Acoustic features of this project
Using the measurements from our noise and vibration tests, our recommendations to reduce noise transfer and control noise emissions has included:
- Developing the cinema design plan so that each screen is a separately floating structure. This also helps to reduce noise transfer from the 9 cinema screens up through the single structure into the residential apartments;
- Providing guidance on acoustic treatments that will lower noise transfer from the restaurants and bars into the cinemas below and the residential apartments above;
- Specifying glazing and ventilation techniques to control noise from the railway line to the apartments and hotel;
- Specifying, where necessary, appropriate noise reduction equipment so that the leisure facilities' mechanical plant noise levels are less than the existing background noise levels and in accordance with local authority planning requirements.
The project team
Architect: Guy Hollaway Architects
Developer: Cathedral Group Plc
Main Contractor: McLaren Construction
M&E Engineer: MTT Consultants
Acoustics: Adnitt Acoustics
- Site is next to a railway line
- Mixed use facilities are all part of the same structure