Gatwick Bloc Hotel
What we did
Bloc Hotels is a growing mid-range hotel chain which specialises in providing rooms which are compact, but with a very high-spec finish. From the build methodology right down to the finishes in each room, Bloc work with the latest materials and innovative techniques whilst still making it as cost-effective as possible.
This specific Gatwick Bloc Hotel is a redevelopment of an existing office building in Gatwick’s South Terminal. The 245 room hotel offers ‘Sleep Haven Zones’, family rooms, a business floor and Presidential Suite.
Our involvement included:
- Establishing Bloc’s aspirations based on noise and vibration measurements of their existing Birmingham hotel and discussions with them;
- Conducting aircraft noise surveys and acoustic building condition surveys of the existing office building;
- Advising on external noise control measures to adequately control aircraft noise;
- Providing design advice on the internal construction of the hotel rooms to achieve the regulatory Approved Document E standards;
- Carrying out practical, on-site demonstrations of actual noise levels;
- Recommending design developments to enhance the client’s aspirations of high quality sound insulation;
- Supervising and witnessing the contractor’s acoustic testing throughout the build process.
Acoustic features of this project
Our involvement from the early concept design stage meant that:
- This Gatwick hotel was, from an acoustic perspective, built in keeping with the Bloc philosophy, cost effectively and using the very best materials;
- On-site measurements and assessments were benchmarked against tests of other Bloc hotels taken by the same acoustic consultant;
- We were able to work with the architect and design team to achieve Bloc’s higher noise control expectations within the project’s budget.
The project team
Architect: 3D Reid
Project Manager: K2 Consultancy
Acoustics: Adnitt Acoustics
- Aircraft noise
- Client’s heightened expectations