Client: Cheam School
- RIBA Stages
- 3: Developed Design
- 4: Technical Design
- 5: Construction
- 6: Handover and Close Out
Photos courtsey of Cheam School
What we did
This project was a new Arts & 6th Form block for this independent, fee paying school. The new build block was an extension to the existing school, on the site of a demolished sports hall. It included a multi-purpose assembly hall, design technology workshops and art teaching rooms.
Our remit involved:
- Conducting initial site surveys for the ambient noise levels;
- Reviewing and advising on the architectural designs;
- Providing ongoing help and advice with the design development during the construction phase;
- Construction noise monitoring, site inspections and final pre-completion testing to ensure the project complied with BB93 school acoustic standards.
Acoustic features of this project
- The busy A-road nearby meant that we had to measure noise intrusion to the classrooms in a naturally ventilated building.
- We also advised on reverberation control for the classrooms and assembly hall, and on the design for sound insulation between classrooms for the walls and floors.
The project team
Architect: Gotelee Orchard-Lisle Architects
Acoustics: Adnitt Acoustics
- Road noise intrusion from a busy A-road
- Reverberation control for the classrooms and assembly hall