independent advice and solutions

Epsom 01372 897 897 | London 020 7099 9735
Glasgow 0141 255 0200
Madrid +34 663 51 84 35


Whether a new build or conversion, all residential properties must meet the required acoustic standards set by the local planning authority (LPA) and national planning requirements. These include: 

  • Building Regulations Approved Document E (Part E Residential)
  • The Code for Sustainable Homes
  • Local Planning Authority (LPA) Sustainability Requirements;
  • Robust Details Handbook;
  • BS8233 Sound Insulation & Noise Reduction for Buildings Code of Practice.

There’s no point building or renovating homes that no-one wants to live in!

Meeting your residential acoustic requirements

So that your housing development adheres to the relevant regulatory and planning standards, we:

  • Planning: Conduct the necessary noise surveys and provide the reports you need before planning permission can be granted;
  • Design: Provide design advice to ensure that your development is acoustically fit for purpose in the most cost effective and practical way, taking into account the impact of noise and vibration on the people living in and around the buildings, not just the buildings’ structure;
  • Testing: Conduct Part E sound insulation tests, including BREEAM testing and measurement services, as a Registered Testing Organisation within the Association of Noise Consultants (ANC) Scheme. We also carry out air tightness testing for residential properties.

Drawing on our expertise, you can get through the planning and building control process quickly and efficiently, addressing any areas of concern before they become an unnecessary expense and headache. 

Part E residential testing

An independent Part E Sound Insulation Test is required for all new and converted houses, flats, hotels and hostels. The only exception is new property built according to the Robust Details Handbook and with the appropriate licence fee paid.

  • Only walls and floors that separate dwellings need to be tested: walls are tested for airborne sound insulation; floors for both airborne and impact noise.
  • Normally, one set of tests needs to be carried out for every 10 flats or houses where the construction does not vary.
  • A set of tests normally includes tests in 2 locations between habitable rooms.
  • Tests cannot be carried out to or from stairwells or corridors.

Part E Residential Testing must be carried out by a company, such as Adnitt Acoustics, that is registered by either the Association of Noise Consultants (ANC) or UKAS.

Air tightness testing

Air tightness testing is a statutory requirement for new residential developments of all sizes to satisfy Building Regulations 2010 Approved Document Part L1A.

Like Approved Document E, Approved Document Part L1A is a sample based test that should be carried out by an appropriately trained and qualified air tightness tester. Graham Shaw is the Principal Air Tightness Tester at Adnitt Acoustics.


Noisy neighbours

We are rarely able to assist those with noisy neighbours. If you have a noisy neighbour issue, you need to contact your local council who will inform you of your options.

Pre-Sound Insulation Test Checklist

Residential Pre Sound Insulation Test Checklist

What to check...

Recent Project

South Kilburn Regeneration

South Kilburn Regeneration in London


Recent Project

Ballymore Group Developments

Ballymore Group Residential Developments


Recent Project

Millwood Designer Homes

Acoustics for Millwood Designer Homes


We use cookies to improve our website and your experience when using it. To find out more about the cookies we use, please refer to our Privacy Policy.

I accept cookies from this site